Teeth Whitening Instructions
Tooth Whitening – Instructions for use.
What To Do:
● Clean your teeth thoroughly before each use, including use of floss or specialist brushes. Rinse any toothpaste away thoroughly.
● Place a small amount of gel on the inside of the supplied bleaching trays, in the area that would position the gel onto the front surface of each tooth.
● Care must be taken not to overfill the trays, as this will be forced out over your gums when inserted.
● In each case, excess material should be removed from the gums with a tissue, cotton bud or a dry toothbrush after insertion of the trays.
● The preferred method is to insert the filled trays and wear overnight.
● In most instances, you will be advised to complete 10 days of overnight tooth whitening with 10% Carbamide Peroxide, and then follow this with 10 days of overnight whitening with 16% Carbamide Peroxide
● If excessive sensitivity occurs then stop tooth whitening immediately and contact your dentist.
● One 5ml syringe of gel should last 10 days.
● In the morning, remove the trays and rinse your mouth for 1 minute with a Fluoride-containing mouth-rinse.
● Wash the trays with cold water and dry thoroughly with tissues before storage.
● Wait 20 minutes before cleaning your teeth with a Fluoride-containing toothpaste.
● To maximise the whitening effect, it is advisable not to eat or drink (other than water) for an hour after removing the bleaching trays and gel.
● The whitening process works at different rates for each individual. Most patients report a noticeable effect after just 1 week of overnight treatments.
● For long-lasting results, most treatments take up to 20 days to work.
● The gel will not lighten crowns, veneers or fillings. If you have any of these restorations then discuss with your dentist. It is not necessary to lighten the back or molar teeth; the tray may not even cover these areas.
Main Points for Tooth Whitening:
● Clean your teeth thoroughly before whitening.
● Fill the inside of the tray with a small pellet of gel.
● Insert bleaching tray and remove excess gel.
● Method 1: Twice a day, insert the filled tray for 30-60 minutes in the morning and again in the evening; ie. twice a day with at least 2 hours between applications.
● Method 2: Once a day, insert the filled tray for a period of 60-120 minutes.
● Method 3: Insert the filled trays overnight.
● Rinse the teeth with Flouride mouth-rinse afterwards.
● Rinse the tray with cold water after use.
● Apply every other day if teeth become sensitive.
● Bleaching will not lighten crowns, veneers or fillings.
● Do not eat or drink for an hour after gel use.
● Sensitivity is a normal feature of the whitening process. It usually lasts for a few days after the duration of the whitening period. Due to sensitivity, you may choose to wear the trays every other day.
● If the sensitivity is intense, then the trays can be filled with sensitive toothpaste, such as ‘Duraphat’, ‘Sensodyne’ or ‘Tooth Mousse’ and worn for a few hours. All products are available if requested.
● If the gel comes into contact with skin, wash with soap and water. If you swallow a significant amount of gel, then drink large amounts of water or milk.
● In rare cases, an allergic reaction to the gel may occur. You will have widespread swelling of the mouth and some discomfort. Discontinue use immediately and contact your dentist.
● Whitening agents contain oxidising agents (bleach) that can damage clothing; please take care whilst handling it.
● Refrigerate for prolonged storage & keep out of reach of children.